It has come to the attention of the Martin County Taxpayers Association that some mis-information has been distributed regarding the installation of light poles on Hutchinson Island. The facts are as follows:
- The plan for additional lighting has been ongoing since 2014
- The poles will be 17’ high
- The poles will house yellow “sea turtle friendly” lights
- The Hutchinson Island Coalition which consists of 18 HOAs is in favor of the additional lights
- Martin County will pay none of the $7 million to install the poles and finish the sidewalk
- While some have estimated that it will cost $111,000 annually to maintain the poles and pay for the electricity….the state reimburses the county for this.
The MCTA can see only a win/win situation here for safety and the residents of Hutchinson Island.